Applying for Financial Aid

Any student may apply for financial aid. Financial aid may include grants (such as Federal Pell Grants or State University Grants) or loans. Your financial add may be limited to 60 units. If you register for two split terms (1A/1B and 2A/2B), you may exceed the number of allowable units and may not be able to receive financial aid. Contact your Regional Director to decide which options are best for you. 

To apply for financial aid, go to the Federal Student Aid Program and complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

FFafSA Early.jpg

You do not have to wait until you have applied to our program. Apply for FAFSA as soon as you decide you are going to apply. 

When applying for financial aid, there are specific questions that most often cause a delay in awarding financial aid. Below are the questions that you will see on the FAFSA application. Be sure to answer the following questions according to the instructions below:

FAFSA Student Eligibility Question: When you begin the school year, what will be your grade level? Students should select "5th yr./other undergraduate". This response is critical to establishing eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant.

FAFSA Student Eligibility Question: When you begin the school year, what degree or certificate will you be working on? Students should select "Teaching degree program (nondegree program)".

FAFSA School Selection Question: Students must enter the federal school code for the CSU campus and regional center that serves the school or school district in which they are employed or where they live. Review the list below to determine the federal school code for your region.

North/Central Regional Center (CSU, Fresno - Code: 001147)
If your teaching assignment or home is in any of the following counties, you will be assigned to the North/Central Regional Center located on the CSU Fresno campus: Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, Contra Costa, Del Norte, El Dorado, Fresno, Glenn, Humboldt, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Lake, Lassen, Madera, Marin, Mariposa, Mendocino, Merced, Modoc, Mono, Napa,Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Francisco, San Joaquin, San Luis Obispo, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Solano, Sonoma, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Tulare, Tuolumne, Yolo, and Yuba.

Southern Regional Center (CSU, Los Angeles - Code: 001140)
You will be assigned to the Southern Regional Center located on the CSU Los Angeles campus,  if you are employed in a teaching position or live in Alameda, Imperial, , Los Angeles, Monterey, Orange, Riverside, San Benito, San Bernardino, or San Diego County,  Santa Barbara or Ventura.

First you have to FAFSA.jpg

Applicants who wish to use a federal loan to pay their CalStateTEACH fees should follow this procedure:

  1. Complete the online FAFSA at

  2. A "Student Aid Report" or SAR will be sent to you after your application has been processed. You will need to verify to the federal processor that the information is complete and accurate. You will also need to provide a signature. The SAR will arrive 4 to 6 weeks after your application.

  3. About 10-14 days after you have verified the accuracy of your SAR and submitted your signature to the federal processor, your FAFSA will be sent electronically to the universities listed on your federal school code list.

  4. When you have been admitted to CalStateTEACH, you will be asked to include a copy of your SAR showing the proper federal school code for your geographic location with your registration form for term one.

  5. You will then be allowed to register.

  6. At the beginning of the term, you will need to contact the campus financial aid office to complete all necessary forms unless you have already received the forms directly.

  7. After your aid has been processed by the campus associated with your regional center, a disbursement will be made to you. You then must pay your fees.

Note: Some campuses will deduct your CalStateTEACH fees from your disbursement and send them directly to the program.